But it's not necessary

The biggest sucker deal in retail.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

I continue to invent things already invented, remain broke


A few years ago, I had the idea of bandages with cyano acrylate to reduce scarring, as I had sealed a number of minor model-building cuts with it; cyano acrylate is the active or only ingredient in most super or 'ka-raaazy' glues. There is little to no danger of subcutaneous absorption and it is widely available, in fact quite handily available to model builders. I was thinking about medical uses, since I had used it on a first aid basis, and have a few scars that might have benefitted from the use of some Ka-razy Glue. I mentioned it to someone, one of the clever people I surround myself with, and was told "Meh". Not more than two weeks later I'm reading the local newspaper and happen upon an article detailing the trial usage of a miracle breakthrough bandage utilizing - you guessed it. Of course, they had been at it since before I thought of it and certainly didn't take any of my research into account, but still; I invented it also, independently and without the AMA. Not to mention that Google says the Canadians have been using a similar acrylate medically for 20 years. Eeep.

  Three XMASs ago, December 2002; I was fumbling around for something personal to do for friends that might show a little more personal interest than the average gift, and I wanted to spend less money. If you don't know, Tootsie makes other flavors besides the chocolate ones that I see no matter what I look at *.  They have lemon, cherry, lime, vanilla, and cherry packaged under the name 'Flavor Rolls', although the last bag I bought says 'Fruit Rolls' despite the vanilla being included. Anyway, I decided to cut them into tiny pieces, place them on a foil-covered baking sheet, float an aluminum pan full of chocolate in a water-filled cast iron frying pan, and carefully spoon melty chocolate onto the tootsie pieces until they were all covered. Once cooled, they were easy to pluck off the foil, and as a bonus, they had one uncovered side for easily picking out your favorite flavor. As expected, the cherry was the best, that must be why chocolate covered cherries do so much better at the market than the chocolate covered lime wedges. Seriously, I liked them all, the orange was pretty rockin', I didn't bother with the vanilla but now think I probably should have.

  As you can see from the picture above, Tootsie Roll Industries Inc. has introduced chocolate covered mini tootsie rolls. They are incredibly good, as long as you don't let them get cold. Of all things to eat frozen, stick to bananas or custard; do not eat anything tootsie frozen unless you have nothing better to do than make extra trips to the dentist. You might notice that Tootsie Inc. hasn't gotten around to chcolate-coating the other flavors yet, but give them time; apparently this is the first new product line for them in 100 years!?











*re: the song, "Whatever it is I think I see" (becomes a tootsie roll to me). You must be this old to remember this, I had found the song online years ago, no such luck today.

3 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger laura b. said...

If you really want that commercial, you can find it here.
http://www.paunchstevenson.com/episodes.html
It is in Episode 21, about 2/3 of the way through or so. Only place I've been able to hear it online.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger part-time thinker said...

Thanks Elby, I found an audio/visual version this afternoon.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for listening to The Paunch Stevenson Show podcast. We've been featuring classic theme songs and commercials (including the old Tootsie Roll commercial "Whatever it is I think I see becomes a Tootsie Roll to me!"), so it's good to see someone is enjoying them.

Keep listening and have fun!

www.paunchstevenson.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home